Prep early and let this delicious brisket slow cook until it’s perfect for the Sunday dinner table. (Feeds 6 – 8)
- 1.5 kg Beef Brisket
- 4 medium carrots (chopped)
- 3 celery sticks (chopped)
- 2 medium parsnips (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 75g white mushrooms
- 1 large garlic clove
- 500ml red wine
- 250ml beef stock
- 2tbsp oil (vegetable or sunflower)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp Coleman’s English Mustard
- Prepare your vegetables. Chop your carrots, celery, parsnips and onion and set aside.
- Heat your oil in a large frying pan. Coat your beef with a light dusting of flour and season well.
- Layer the bottom of your slow cooker with your mushrooms and chopped vegetables, and switch the slow cooker to low.
- While your slow cooker is heating, seal your Brisket in a hot frying pan.
- Add your beef on top of your vegetables and then add the bay leaves, garlic (crushed), and mustard.
- Pour over your wine and beef stock, cover with the lid and cook for 7 hours.
- Just before 7 hours is up, heat your cooker to 200C (180C Fan) and place your beef in a tray to roast for 20 minutes.
- Pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a pan and bring to the boil. Leave a little to keep your veg from drying out.
- Take your beef out the oven and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with mash or roast potatoes, a crispy Yorkshire pudding, vegetables and a side of sprouts or greens.