Simple to prepare but packed full of warmth and flavour for those chilly winter nights. (Feeds 4-6)
- 1 kg Diced Beef
- 4 Medium Carrots (cut into uneven chunks)
- 2 Large Celery Sticks (cut into uneven chunks)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 4 Bay Leaves
- Fresh Thyme
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 2 tbsp Worcester Sauce
- 2 Stock Cubes (beef)
- 20g Butter
- 600ml Hot Water
- Optional: Add a few mushrooms at step 6 for added deliciousness.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan.
- Add your celery, onion, carrots, bay leaves, butter, oil and a whole sprig of thyme to a flameproof casserole dish.
- Heat gently on the hob for 10 mins to soften before stirring in the flour. While this is heating boil your kettle for step 5.
- Once the mixture is well combined, add your tomato purée and Worcester sauce.
- Crumble in your stock cubes and mix together gradually adding your hot water.
- Add your beef and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 2 hrs 30 mins before removing the lid for an additional 30mins (or until the meat is tender)
- Serve with potatoes and a side of winter greens.